11 May 2014

'I vote for the same reason that I would punch a bear that was eating me'

It's not too late to make a difference. The turnout at the last European elections was about 44 percent. Enough people stayed at home to literally win the election for anybody. Young people sometimes feel, 'I can't be bothered to vote because none of the parties say anything I'm interested in'. Yeah, that's because you don't vote. It's a vicious circle. That's like saying, 'I'll stop flicking soggy cornflakes at you when you stop looking so annoyed and milky'. Aside from money, the only thing politicians need from the population is votes. And if you're not a source of votes, they don't care about you. (I'm glad I'm putting out this message urging young people to vote on Radio 4, where it will be heard by the overwhelmingly teenage audience).

I vote for the same reason that I would punch a bear that was eating me. I don't think it'll make a big difference to the outcome, but at least that way it doesn't look like I want to be eaten by a bear.

- Nick Doody, The Now Show, Radio 4, 9 May 2014.

No comments: